Photography / May Lin Le Goff
Creative Director / Ashburn Eng
Hair & Make-up / Larry Yeo using Beyu & Redken
Model / Taisya P (Upfront Models)
Styling Assistant / Shanna Matthew
Outfit / Bottega Venetta
IAN LEE speaks to three emerging local fashion photographers who finished top in the Canon Fashion Season@Orchard Fashion Photography Challenge and gets them to each shoot a picture to showcase their style. The Fashion Season@Orchard(FSO), organised by the Orchard Road Business Association (Orba) and held in April, helped to give the fashion photography scene here a boost with the Canon FSO Fashion Photography Challenge. Between March 25 and April 20, budding photographers were invited to submit up to five photos. A total of 210 photographers from 11 countries, including Australia, Vietnam, Indonesia and Ireland sent in entries for the contest, which offered more than $7,000 worth of Canon cameras as prizes.
A panel of judges from Canon Singapore, Singapore Tourism Board, Orba and Singapore Press Holdings shortlisted 20 photographs, which were exhibited in front of Ion Orchard and The Heeren from May 1 to 9. Public votes made up 25 per cent of each participating photographer’s score, while votes from the panel of judges made up the remaining 75 per cent. Urban speaks to the top three winners of the Canon FSO Fashion Photography Challenge to find out more about their shooting style. We also got them to showcase their personal aesthetic by shooting the same model in a dress from Bottega Veneta’s pre-fall collection. They were allowed to pick their own styling team and additional accessories for the shoot.
MAY LIN LE GOFF, 21
First place in Canon FSO Fashion Photography Challenge 2010
She has three years of experience, starting with an internship as a photo-journalist at The Straits Times in 2007. Subsequently, she joined commercial photography studio Calibre as an intern before being hired as an
assistant photographer for a year. Currently a freelance photographer, she will be leaving for New York next month to study fine arts at the School Of Visual Arts.
Alternative and moody, she prefers to veer away from standard notions of beauty. “I like to explore different angles and my pictures capture emotional qualities ranging from strength to vulnerability,” says Le Goff.
British photographer Nick Knight and Chinese photographer Chen Man Er, whose works do not conform to conventional notions of beauty. Also inspired by the strong, feminine and architectural qualities of Swedish fashion photographer Camilla Akrans’ work.
A set of campaign pictures for local label Max.Tan’s spring/summer 2010 collection, shot at the Marina Barrage last year, was selected as one of the top 10 advertising campaigns for spring/summer 2010 womenswear by American online trend website Stylesight.com. It was listed alongside international advertising campaigns from Prada, Alexander McQueen, Chanel, Tommy Hilfiger and Valentino. The budding photographer has just finished shooting Max.Tan’s fall/winter campaign.
“I wanted to bring out a sexy physicality from the model and dress, so I focused on her curves and the silhouette of the dress. We did not want to over-dress the outfit because the pre-fall season is associated with wearable clothes,” says Le Goff.